Admission and Application
Graduate Admission Application Form
- (paper applications available upon request)
- Printable Application for International Students
- Re-Admit form (For students previously admitted to a graduate program at MSUB)
Graduate Admissions Checklist
▢ A Completed Graduate Admission Application Form
▢ Admission Test Scores
▢ Official Transcripts Transcripts that are not processed through the online application system, must be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies. Official Transcripts must reflect all baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate work including degrees earned.
▢ Payment2020欧洲杯体育投注 of a non-refundable application fee of $40.00
▢ College of Education Background Check Requirements Education Candidates will also need to submit fingerprints, fees, and required documents (see: http://www.takahiroueno.com/coe/FingerprintInfo.htm)
▢ Records documenting immunization requirements are needed prior to enrollment
▢ MSUB General Scholarship Application2020欧洲杯体育投注 After receiving a NetID/MyInfo account, complete the General Application to apply for over a dozen additional scholarships available to MSUB graduate students.
▢ Application Essay2020欧洲杯体育投注 (Required for Scholarships, Graduate Assistantships, and some programs)
▢ Letters of Recommendation
▢ A Vita or Resume (Required for Scholarships, Graduate Assistantships, and some programs)
▢ Statement of Commitment to Community Service, Related Accomplishments and Desire to Succeed (Required for Scholarships)
▢ Statement of Financial Need (Required for Stepping Forward Foundation Scholarship only)
▢ Graduate Assistant Statement including anticipated availability and weekly time commitments, desire for in-person or virtual assistantship opportunities, and graduate assistant assignments of interest (Graduate Assistantships only).
Supplemental documents may be uploaded onto the application or sent to email@example.com欧洲杯体育投注 (include name and degree in the subject line). Requirements to be considered for the MSUBillings Foundation Wilson, Waterman and McRae Endowed Scholarship for Graduate Students and Stepping Forward Foundation Scholarship or for Graduate Assistantships are noted.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Although the applicant may submit a copy of his/her admission test scores in the application packet, the applicant must request an official score report from the testing service to be sent directly to MSU Billings. Registration at MSUB will be withheld until an official test result is received if required by the degree/program.
2020欧洲杯体育投注A photocopy of the applicant’s admission test scores will be accepted from another accredited academic institution in lieu of official exam scores only under all of the following circumstances:
- the copy must be reproduced by an official of that institution on the institutions original letterhead stationary;
- the copy must bear an original imprint of the institution’s official stamp;
- the copy must bear the original signature of a designated officer of the institution.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Minimum test scores for acceptance into specific graduate programs are determined by the individual graduate programs.
GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
The GRE is a standardized test administered by the that is required for admission to most MSUB graduate programs. Only the GRE General Test is required. The exam measures knowledge and skills in verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. The cost to take the test is $205, and ETS does not release scores older than 5 years. The exam takes about 3 hours and 45 minutes. Minimum scores are set by each individual program; check with the Department for required scores. The College of Education only accepts the GRE. Check with other Departments for permission to take or use other tests such as the MAT, GMAT, or LSAT.
In Billings the GRE is administered at Prometric Testing Center 2225 Broadwater Ave .Billings, Mt 59102 406 656-4646. For information see: .
The applicant must complete an application form available in the Office of Graduate Studies or online. The completed form must be submitted (with an official transcript showing a bachelor’s degree earned) to the Office of Graduate Studies. A $40.00 non-refundable application fee is required.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Admission decisions are made for each applicant individually, and applicants may or may not be judged acceptable regardless of the undergraduate record or the institution from which credentials are submitted. Before admission is granted, each application is reviewed by the Office of Graduate Studies and the appropriate faculty, who determine if the applicant’s academic history and preparation are satisfactory.
Students may be admitted with regular or provisional standing. Admission is subject to a favorable recommendation by the degree-granting program. Additionally, the program directors reserve the right to grant an admission status other than full admission to any of the graduate degree programs at MSU Billings. As such, applicants should consider themselves admitted only when official notification2020欧洲杯体育投注 has been received from the Office of Graduate Studies.
Non-degree graduate students are those who have earned baccalaureate degrees and meet one of the following criteria:
- do not wish to pursue graduate programs leading to an advanced degree at MSU Billings but wish to take courses;
- have been denied regular or provisional admission;
- have non-degree standing through the recommendation of a program;
- whose formal degree applications are pending final action;
- who applied too late to be admitted for the intended term;
New non-degree students will be eligible to register for classes as soon as the completed application is processed. This is generally 24 to 48 hours after receipt of the completed application.
A non-degree student may register for undergraduate or graduate level courses.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Non-degree graduate students are not eligible for graduate assistantships.
Provisional admission is granted when the program director, chair, or admission committee identifies an academic weakness. It is not guaranteed to students with low undergraduate GPA’s, and may only be used in defined instances.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Provisional admission may be granted to a student when some type of deficiency is noted in the applicant’s academic work, such as:
- the applicant has a less than 3.0 cumulative GPA in undergraduate work;
- the last two (2) years of undergraduate work appear weak or the GPA is less than a 3.0;
- the applicant has low admission test scores;
- the program director, chair, or admission committee identifies other academic weaknesses that may adversely impact the applicants graduate career.
Provisional admission may be granted with up to fifteen (15) credits of deficiency coursework needed. The following stipulations apply:
- the deficiency coursework must be listed in writing on the official acceptance letter from the Office of Graduate Studies. The acceptance letter will also state that the program may require additional prerequisites or deficiency work;
- it is up to the program to monitor acceptable progress of deficient coursework and to ensure completion of such coursework the first semester the class is available.
2020欧洲杯体育投注Provisional status will be granted for one academic year. If deficiencies are not cleared within that time, the student will need to reapply to the program.
Students with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA will be denied full regular admission but may qualify for provisional admission. The program may recommend non-degree or undergraduate work for one or two semesters to improve the student’s GPA standing and provide evidence of the applicant’s ability to do well in graduate school.
2020欧洲杯体育投注International students must meet all admission requirements of Montana State University Billings in addition to the following:
Complete the International Graduate Student Application
Application Fee ($40.00): Graduate applicants are required to send $40 by money order, check, or wire transfer (cash is not encouraged). Please note that the application fee is non-refundable. Applicants will not be considered without the application fee.
English Proficiency Proof: Students from non-English speaking countries must provide evidence of proficiency in English by submitting an approved score from one of MSUB’s approved English Proficiency tests, the TOEFL or IELTS. MSUB TOEFL institution code is 4298.
Minimum TOEFL internet-based test score: 79
Minimum IELTS test score: 6.5
Official results can be sent to the Office of Admissions and Records and the Office of Graduate Studies, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298.
- Requests for information on test procedures can be found at or can be directed to the following address: Test of English as a Foreign Language , PO Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08540
* Provisional Admission: Applicants who do not have the required English language proficiency test score
for full admission to MSU Billings but are academically qualified, may be considered for admission through
required attendance in the Intensive English Language Program.
- Certified copies of all certificates, degrees, and diplomas with a certified translation of the records
- An evaluated transcript from a credit evaluation service (i.e. SPANTRAN or ECE): All records of academic work completed outside of the U.S. or in non-English speaking
countries must be submitted for a course by course evaluation to one of the following
Letter of Intent: Statement of degree objectives related to degree of choice. Some programs require specific letters of intent, check Degrees and Programs for any additional requirements.
Standardized Exam Test Scores2020欧洲杯体育投注 (i.e. GRE or GMAT)
Three Letters of Recommendation
Copy of Passport
For I-20 purposes also submit:
Financial Statement: Please complete the financial statement form and have it signed by a parent or sponsor. All future international students must attest that funds are available for full-time study at Montana State University Billings. The U.S. government requires international students to show proof of funds to at least cover the first year of study. An official letter from a banking institution showing the amount of funds available for the first year must accompany this form. The official letter must be in English.
International Application Due Dates:
Fall semesters: June 1st
2020欧洲杯体育投注Spring semesters: October 1st
Summer semesters: February 1st
2020欧洲杯体育投注 Senior Citizens are granted tuition waivers by the Montana Board of Regents. You may qualify if you are:
- Classified as an in-state resident for university tuition and fees
- At least sixty-five years old
- Senior Citizen tuition waivers DO NOT waive fees, only tuition is waived.
- The Senior Citizen tuition waiver may not be used with other state tuition waivers. All other fees are your responsibility.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS THE THIRD WEEK OF EACH TERM. RETROACTIVE AWARDS ARE NOT MADE FOR PREVIOUS SEMESTERS.